Call for Nominations – 2016
Guyana Cultural Association of New York will host its annual Awards Ceremony on August 31, 2016 in Brooklyn, NY. Our 15th Anniversary theme is We Bridgin’ which continues a passionate drive among Guyanese to strengthen our connections in multiple dimensions. We will persist actively at building new, positive and enduring pathways for our culturally vibrant nation. We are optimistic and energized at this time as the country starts to celebrate its 50th Independence Anniversary.
Another initiative of recognition this season is The Godfrey Chin Prize for Heritage Journalism and details are available here.
The GCA Awards selection emphasis in 2016 is to identify and acclaim individuals and organizations whose initiatives and accomplishments were inspired by Guyana’s rich multi-ethnic heritage. We will acknowledge their contributions to the improvement of inter-ethnic dialogue and feelings of trust in Guyanese society at home and in the Diaspora.
Starting in 2001 the Guyana Cultural Association of New York has been the leader in recognizing those cultural representatives who have inspired us to excellence. In that tradition, we will honor exemplars who have demonstrated substantial achievements in attaining the goals of our theme. Nominations for awards are open until June 7, 2016.
Our awards celebrate outstanding contributors in the following categories:
• Guyana Cultural Association Award
• Guyana Cultural Association Award – Youth
• Guyana Cultural Association Exemplary Award
• Guyana Cultural Association Lifetime Achievement Award
What We Do
Request nominations from anyone or entity and assess the submissions that are complete and on time. Nominations are open until June 7, 2016.
• Nominations can be submitted for a person, or an entity, whose work fits within the theme – We Bridgin’
• Youth nominations must detail the academic and extracurricular accomplishments that position the nominee above the average in his or her area of scholastic and cultural activities.
A selection committee evaluates each nomination considering seven criteria: originality, scope, impact / influence, integration, pioneering spirit, challenges and achievements.
Please read the Selection Criteria details for more information. Selections will only be made from Nominations received on time, complete with photographs.
You can click here for the Nomination Form which is below the Selection Criteria description.
Your questions about the 2016 Awards can be sent to this email address: AwardsNomination@guyfolkfest.org.
Past honorees are listed here: http://guyfolkfest.com/archives-awards
Ronald H. Lammy
Chair, Guyana Cultural Association of NY Awards Committee
This attribute refers to the nature of the idea, expression, or product/innovation. The term “expression” issued here refers to more than verbal expressions and can include any manifestation of Guyanese creativity from cuisine, clothing, music, visual and performing arts, etc.
Did the idea, expression, product/innovation have ramifications /consequences beyond the village, country, region, etc? Has it been long lasting? Here we also consider factors that could have constrained or restricted the scope of the idea, expression, product /innovation.
Did the idea, expression, or product/innovation have economic, political, cultural, and social consequences?
Did the idea, expression, or product or innovation contribute to social, cultural, and political harmony? Also, did it lead to the improvement of cultural understanding?
5. Pioneering spirit:
Pioneering spirit refers to an idea, expression, and product or innovation that was introduced even in the face of derision.
This refers to nominees who have overcome physical, psychological, economic, social, residential, cultural, and political barriers to make a contribution that satisfies some of the criteria or attributed listed at 1 through 5.
This refers to the nominee’s body of work. It is not a mere quantitative measure – “Nuff is not always the best.”
8. Youth – Outstanding Achievement:
The nominee must attain one of the top three grade rankings in his or her institutions programs in the humanities, creative and expressive arts. Evaluation emphasis will be placed on accomplishments in music, theatre arts, Caribbean history and Caribbean literature. If the latter two are not available in the nominee’s school’s curriculum, world history and world literature will be accepted as substitutes.
• The Guyana Cultural Association Lifetime Achievement Award is reserved for Guyanese nationals.
• The Guyana Cultural Association Exemplary Award is presented to a person and The Guyana Cultural Association Award is offered to an individual or entity.
• Youth awardees are either born in Guyana, or have at least one parent who is Guyanese, or of Guyanese descent.Completing a Nomination
• Focus on the selection criteria that describe the nominee’s contribution.
• Be specific and concise. Submit 100 or more words but do not exceed 500.
• Assume the review committee knows nothing about the nominee.
• Provide a photograph with your form. NOMINATION DEADLINE IS June 7, 2016
• Selections will only be made from Nominations received on time and are complete.
• It is the responsibility of the nominator to ensure that the nomination is complete.